If you’d like to see the “pretty copy” of this month’s Smoke & a world of other club info,
Go to the
Bob Hollister, N7INK
Apr 29-30 - La Vuelta de Bisbee Bike Race
ERV Status - The old ERV has been turned into Fleet. I flew out to
Lee Ilse, KD7OED
1. The need for major design changes, are discovered as the unit nears completion.
2. Firmness of delivery dates are inversely proportional to the tightness of the schedule.
3. Dimensions will always be expressed in the least useable term. Velocity for instance, will be expressed in furlongs per fortnight.
4. Instruction Manuals will be lost on delivery of the units.
5. Original Circuit Diagrams will be destroyed by the Photocopying Machine.
Meeting was called to order at . Officers present were President Lee KD7OED, Vice President Dale NJ7C, Secretary Pat KD7HAB, Treasurer Paul KD7TDL, Member at Large Grant WB6OTS
Wally W0OGN gave an interesting presentation on “fox hunt” transmitting.
Treasurer’s Report: It will be posted on the bulletin board in the back of Larson Hall. We have $1,000 in the tower fund. The budget will be given at the next meeting
Secretary: minutes approved as written and will be posted on the bulletin board.
Vice President had no report.
Member at Large:
Amateur Operator classes will begin on the 11th of February and go
for three weekends. The testing will be on the 25th of
February. Our Hamfest will be
Richard KB7RDG gave the technical report. Rich said we need some tools for up on the hill so if the guys go up to the repeater they have tools up there and maybe they will not have to carry so may tools up with them. Mike N7ZGO donated a toolbox.
Larry KF7TJ gave a material report. We do not have a lot in the shed.
Bob N7INK gave the R.A.C.E.S. Report. SAR training is coming up the 25th & 26th of Feb. April 29th & 30th is the Bisbee bike race
1. An advertisement is going to be put in the paper for a caretaker for Green Acres
2. Our Lease is at the county and we are just waiting on a response from them. Lee will be in touch with them.
3. Pete’s Palace; we are trying to get it secured.
4. We need to upgrade our 40m beam antenna. Our goal is to get a donation of $3,000.00 and then replace it with a stepper antenna
5. March 3-5 is the international DX contest
Roger won the 50/50 drawing ($25) Larry suggested that the 50/50 go towards the antenna funds. Lee said he would have to check something in the standing rules.
MURPHY’S LAW (Cont’d)
1. Any wire cut to length - will be short.
2. Identical Circuits. Tested under identical conditions will NOT be identical in practice.
3. The availability of a component is inversely proportional to the need for the component.
4. If a project requires "N" components, there will be "N-1" in stock.
5. If a particular Resistance is needed, that value will not be available, furthermore, it cannot be made up of series/parallel combinations.
6. A dropped tool will always fall where it will do the most damage. (Also known as the selective law of gravitation).
7. If you connect a Three Phase Line, the Phase sequence will be wrong.
8. A Motor will always rotate in the wrong direction.
9. Interchangeable parts - Won’t!
10. Components that must not (and cannot) be assembled wrong - Will be.
11. A DC Meter will always be on an overly sensitive range, and will be wired into circuit in the wrong direction.
12. If a circuit cannot fail, it will.
13. A Failsafe Circuit will destroy others.
14. A Transistor protected by a fast acting fuse, will protect the fuse by blowing first.
15. A Self Starting Oscillator – won’t start.
16. A Crystal Oscillator will oscillate at the wrong frequency, if it works at all.
17. If a
18. In any given estimate, the cost of the equipment will exceed the estimate by a factor of 3.
Because of the "critical intervention" of radio
amateurs across the
Tom Fagan, WB7NXH, Section Mgr. <email@example.com>
Mary has been busy
this month. She has put together a Youth
T-Shirt design. I am working on
digitizing it and getting a few printed.
Twelve presenters have added their name to the list to speak at club
meetings around the state. We have a
lot of talented people. If you would
like to be added to the list please let Mary know. Mary Ahls W4NZJ,
Charlie Ellis, W6
Ray Bass, W7OMR,
up until about a year ago.
The following hams just received their FCC license, Congratulations!
Neal Przecioski KE7FSC, Sheldon Stone KE7FSF, Ray Waddoups
KE7FUM, David Wagner KE7
First Annual 7th Area
QSO Party, to be held
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about ARRL. If your club or group has an activity or event that would be of interest to other hams throughout our section please email me with the specifics.
73, Tom Fagan WB7NXH
ARRL Section Manager Arizona
Telecommunications regulator Ofcom has unveiled plans to
reform Amateur Radio licensing in
"The RSGB are reasonably comfortable with Ofcom's
recent announcement," RSGB General Manager Peter Kirby, G0
Paper licenses are going away too, for all intents and purposes, and Ofcom instead will provide an on-line service to issue electronic licenses. Hard-copy licenses will remain available for those lacking Internet access, but there will be an administrative charge. Starting October 1, Ofcom will take over from the Royal Mail the role of issuing, renewing and amending Amateur Radio licenses.
The RSGB's Kirby notes that while Ofcom announced it was deregulating the Amateur Radio license, the RSGB is quick to point out that the changes to the licensing system "do not add up to deregulation" of ham radio. "Ofcom continue to shoot themselves in the foot with the liberal use of the word 'deregulate'," Kirby said. "Every time it appears they get deluged with
letters from angry hams and Members
of Parliament, and even our Patron, the Duke of
The RSGB last year went on record as being "strongly
opposed" to any steps by Ofcom to deregulate Amateur Radio in
in the time scale they have laid down."
Ofcom said its new approach to Amateur Radio licensing will "reduce unnecessary bureaucracy." Additional details are on the Ofcom Web site
MURPHY’S LAW (Cont’d)
1. In any given calculation, the fault will never be found, if more than one person is involved.
2. Any error that can creep in will, and it will be in the direction that will do the most damage to the calculation.
3. All Constants are variables.
4. In any given computation, the figure that is obviously correct will be the source of the error.
5. A Decimal point will always be misplaced.
Ted Weaver, K9TED, from friends on the Internet
Mujibar was trying to get a job in
Mujibar said, "I am ready."
The manager said, "Make a sentence using the words Yellow, Pink and Green."
Mujibar thought for a few minutes and said, "Mister manager, I am ready."
The manager said, "Go ahead."
Mujibar said, "The telephone goes green, green, green, and I pink it up, and say, 'Yellow, this is Mujibar.'"
Mujibar now works as a technician at your call center for computer problems. No doubt you have spoken to him.
THE COCHISE SMOKE is published each month by e-Mail and
snail Mail. Editor is Ted Weaver, K9TED firstname.lastname@example.org (FYI Juno will accept
any transmission including pix.) Snail
mail stuff you’d like to have me publish in Smoke to
Amateur Radio Association, Inc. (
“This Is A First Class Publication”